Dealing with Tough Negotiators Participant Booklet
You can't turn a tough negotiator into a collaborative, problem-solving partner. But you can achieve win-win outcomes if you apply the right negotiating techniques. HRDQ's Dealing with Tough Negotiators series will help your negotiators develop the skills they need. This 30-item assessment helps respondents identify their areas of strength and weakness in 5 key negotiating skill areas: Maintaining Composure, Developing Data, Refocusing the Discussion, Being Creative, and Handling Information Strategically.
- Learn 5 key skills for dealing with tough negotiations
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in 5 skill areas
- Practice handling tough negotiations
- Understand how to enable win-win solutions with tough negotiators
Dealing with Tough Negotiators is based on a study of the relevant literature and the Model of Negotiating Behavior. The literature on collaborative negotiating points to 5 skills that move a negotiation back to constructive, objective discussion. These skills prepare the collaborative negotiator for both offense (proactive collaboration) and defense (wariness, solid research, and constant questioning).
The 5 negotiating skills are:
- Maintaining Composure
- Developing Data
- Refocusing the Discussion
- Being Creative
- Handling Information Strategically
- How It Works
With a particular situation and difficult negotiator in mind, participants respond to the 30 statements on the assessment. Participants then learn about the Model of Negotiating Behavior, score the assessment, and chart the results for each of the 5 negotiating skill sets. Interpretive information provides insight on scores and thought-provoking questions help participants think of ways to practice the 5 skills. Following the assessment, the Dealing with Tough Negotiators Workbook offers practice in applying the skills with the help of examples, prepared questions, and guidelines — the perfect tool for negotiators who are about to enter into a particularly difficult negotiation.
Uses for Dealing with Tough Negotiators
Both the Assessment and the Workbook are written for negotiators who have at least some negotiating experience. (For inexperienced negotiators, we suggest the Negotiating Style Profile or the Negotiating Win-Win Solutions workshop as an introduction to basic, collaborative negotiating.)
Effective as stand-alone instruments or as part of a negotiating program, the Dealing with Tough Negotiators series helps negotiators who:
- Are about to enter into a particularly difficult negotiation
- Routinely face tough negotiating partners
- Have become set in their negotiating tactics and need a refresher
- Are familiar with collaborative negotiation, but lack the means to achieve it
What to Order/Product Contents
Order one Facilitator Guide per Facilitator and one Participant Guide and Workbook per Participant.
Participant Guide includes:
- 30-item assessment
- Pressure-sensitive response form
- Model of Negotiating Behavior
- Overview of 5 key negotiating skills
- Interpretive information
- Diagram for charting scores
- Reflection questions/action planning
Call 1-888-889-2184 for your Complimentary Dealing with Tough Negotiators Theoretical Background.
How To Order